Biking the Backroads of Greece: From Ancient Olives to Venetian Castles
This club ride takes you around the Corinthian Gulf, visiting two iconic cities: Galaxidi and Nafpaktos. Central Greece, a significant yet often overlooked part of the country, is rarely the first choice for biking adventures or vacations. On this trip, we aim to showcase some of the region’s most beautiful parts, sharing our love and admiration for it.
On the first day, you’ll be shuttled to Zemeno, just a few kilometers outside Arachova, where your bikes will await you. The first 6 kilometers have a gentle grade, helping your legs to warm up as you pass through Arachova and begin descending to Delphi. You’ll weave through ancient olive trees on your way to Itea, then follow the coastal road to Galaxidi. Galaxidi is renowned for its rich maritime history, especially in shipbuilding and seafaring during the 19th century. Its charming streets are lined with traditional stone houses, reflecting its historical legacy.
On the second day be prepared for one of the most beautiful cycling routes you’ve ever experienced. The day starts with an optional climb to the mainland. As you ride through the morning breeze, you’ll soon see the picturesque Mornos lake, surrounded by a stunning forest. It’s this forest you’ll traverse today. After crossing a dam and conquering the final climb, you’ll reach the castles of Nafpaktos. This coastal town in western Greece is famed for its Venetian heritage, notably its well-preserved Venetian castle and harbor. Once an important naval station in the Corinthian Gulf, Nafpaktos boasts a charming old port with a distinctive circular shape and is also known for its role in the pivotal Battle of Lepanto in 1571.
Cost: 280 euro / person
What is included
- 1 x Night Accommodation
- 1 x Dinner Meal
- 2 x Lunch
- Snacks along the road
- Vehicle Support
- Shuttle from Athens to the starting point and back
- GPX files for your GPS-unit
- Collection of your bike 1 day prior of the trip
- Road / E bike Hire: + €70 (please send us your height details in cm)
- Arrangements for non cycling members – bring the family and friends along
- Single Supplement: + €60
Using the above link you can book your spot latest by Thursday, 22 February
Code of conduct
- During the ride, each cyclist should ride like being on their own, respecting all the road circulations rules and signs
- All cyclists should be in a position to be self sufficient (e.g. change a tube, indexing the gears). Also our group ethics expect the riders to act civilized (zero tolerance if they litter the environment) and promote the good conduct of this ride. Competition schemes are not welcomed.
- Our vehicles will be close to the riding group and will provide transfer or mechanical support on best endeavors terms.
Why everything in English?
Πολλά από τα μέλη μας προέρχονται από το εξωτερικό και για λόγους ευγένειας, τιμώντας την Ελληνική Φιλοξενία, αποφασίσαμε να έχουμε σαν επίσημη γλώσσα τα αγγλικά.
Είμαστε όλοι μια παρέα, ας μην αφήσουμε τη γλώσσα να είναι εμπόδιο.
Ευχαριστούμε για την κατανόηση.
Friday, 1 March
PM Hours – Bike Collection (Location to be announced)
Saturday, 2 March
08:30 – Meet up at Doukissis Plakentias metro station (map)
08:45 – Shuttle to Zemeno. Estimated arrival time 11:00
11:30 – Start riding to Galaxidi. Estimated arrival time 13:30
13:30 – Estimated arrival and check in to our accommodation
Sunday, 3 March
07:30 – Breakfast
09:00 – Start riding to Nafpaktos. Estimated arrival 15:00
15:00 – Estimated arrival at Nafpaktos
18:00 – Shuttle to Doukissis Plakentias metro station. Estimated arrival time 19:30
21:00 – Estimated arrival at Doukissis Plakentias metro station