Riding the Revolution Trail: A Bike Tour Through Historic Mani
Set off on a captivating cycling tour through the heart of Mani, beginning in the charming village of Xirokampi. Tucked away in the Peloponnese, Xirokampi is a gem that sets the tone for an adventure filled with natural beauty and historical intrigue.
Our journey starts with a leisurely ride from Xirokampi to Gythio. Imagine pedaling through picturesque landscapes, with olive groves on one side and occasional glimpses of the sparkling sea on the other. Gythio, our destination for the night, is a quaint port town buzzing with life and steeped in history.
The second day takes us on a more adventurous route. We’ll cycle from Gythio to the historic town of Areopoli, then onward to the scenic village of Kotronas, and finally back to Gythio. Areopoli is rich with stories from the Greek Revolution of 1821, while Kotronas offers charming coastal views. This leg of the journey beautifully combines historical exploration with the stunning scenery of Mani.
The final day, coinciding with the Greek National Holiday on March 25th, adds a festive flavor to our ride. We’ll be traveling from Gythio to the picturesque town of Kardamyli. This route is not just about cycling; it’s a celebration of Greek history and culture. The backdrop of the Taygetos Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea makes the ride to Kardamyli visually stunning. Ending our journey here allows us to immerse ourselves in the local holiday festivities, perfectly concluding our memorable ride through Mani.
Cost: 450 euro / person
What is included
- 2 x Night Accommodation
- 2 x Dinner Meal
- 3 x Lunch
- Snacks along the road
- Vehicle Support
- Shuttle from Athens to the starting point and back
- GPX files for your GPS-unit
- Collection of your bike 1 day prior of the trip
- Road / E bike Hire: + €70 (please send us your height details in cm)
- Arrangements for non cycling members – bring the family and friends along
- Single Supplement: + €120
Using the above link you can book your spot latest by Friday, 8 March
Code of conduct
- During the ride, each cyclist should ride like being on their own, respecting all the road circulations rules and signs
- All cyclists should be in a position to be self sufficient (e.g. change a tube, indexing the gears). Also our group ethics expect the riders to act civilized (zero tolerance if they litter the environment) and promote the good conduct of this ride. Competition schemes are not welcomed.
- Our vehicles will be close to the riding group and will provide transfer or mechanical support on best endeavors terms.
Why everything in English?
Πολλά από τα μέλη μας προέρχονται από το εξωτερικό και για λόγους ευγένειας, τιμώντας την Ελληνική Φιλοξενία, αποφασίσαμε να έχουμε σαν επίσημη γλώσσα τα αγγλικά.
Είμαστε όλοι μια παρέα, ας μην αφήσουμε τη γλώσσα να είναι εμπόδιο.
Ευχαριστούμε για την κατανόηση.
Friday, 22 March
PM Hours – Bike Collection (Location to be announced)
Saturday, 23 March
08:00 – Meet up at Doukissis Plakentias metro station (map)
08:15 – Shuttle to Xirokampi. Estimated arrival time 11:30
11:30 – Arrival at Xirokampi
12:00 – Start riding to Gythio. Estimated arrival time 14:30
14:30 – Estimated arrival and check in to our accommodation
Sunday, 24 March
07:30 – Breakfast
10:00 – Start riding towards Areopoli, Kotronas and back to Gythio
14:00 – Estimated arrival at Gythio
Monday, 25 March
07:30 – Breakfast
10:00 – Start riding towards Kardamyli
14:00 – Estimated arrival at Kardamyli
17:00 – Shuttle Doukissis Plakentias metro station
20:30 – Estimated arrival time at Doukissis Plakentias metro station