Monemvasia – A castle giant frozen in time
We are ecstatic to announce that this week’s club ride will take us on a journey through time to the captivating and awe-inspiring castle-town of Monemvasia, nestled on a small rocky island off the easternmost coast of Peloponnisos. Monemvasia’s origins date back to the 6th century AD, and it has been a symbol of resilience and beauty ever since. This architectural marvel has seen the rise and fall of empires, withstood sieges and conquests, and preserved its cultural heritage throughout the centuries.
The castle-town’s towering walls, intricate fortifications, and labyrinthine cobblestone streets are a testament to the ingenuity and perseverance of the human spirit. As we embark on this epic ride, we will be awestruck by the sheer magnificence of Monemvasia’s architecture, which evokes a sense of wonder and admiration in all who behold it.
Our journey will begin in Kyparissi, and we will traverse a distance of approximately 44 km, ascending 340 meters in the process. We invite you to bring your own road bikes or rent a road or e-bike and join us on this unforgettable adventure. The route will take us through rugged mountainous terrain and along the stunning Laconian coastline, offering us breathtaking views of the crystal-clear waters and picturesque villages.
Let us embark on this historical and cultural voyage together, and experience the indescribable beauty and grandeur of Monemvasia, a true gem of the Peloponnisos.
Cost: 160 euro / person (min 5 persons)
What is included
- 1 x Night Accommodation in Kiparissi (Double / Twin Occupancy)
- 1 x Dinner Meal (25th of March)
- Snacks along the road
- Vehicle Support
- Shuttle from Athens to Kiparissi
- GPX files for your GPS-unit
- Minimum 5 guests
- Road / E bike Hire: + 30 euros (please send us your height details in cm)
Using the above link you can book your spot latest by 21st of March
Join our Club
Code of conduct
- During the ride, each cyclist should ride like being on their own, respecting all the road circulations rules and signs
- All cyclists should be in a position to be self sufficient (e.g. change a tude, indexing the gears). Also our group ethics expect the riders to act civilized (zero tolerance if they litter the environment) and promote the good conduct of this ride. Competition schemes are not welcomed.
- Our vehicles will be close to the riding group and will provide transfer or mechanical support on best endeavors terms.
Why everything in English?
Πολλά από τα μέλη μας προέρχονται από το εξωτερικό και για λόγους ευγένειας, τιμώντας την Ελληνική Φιλοξενία, αποφασίσαμε να έχουμε σαν επίσημη γλώσσα τα αγγλικά.
Είμαστε όλοι μια παρέα, ας μην αφήσουμε τη γλώσσα να είναι εμπόδιο.
Ευχαριστούμε για την κατανόηση.
Sat, 25 March
15:30 – Pickup from Voula
16:00 – Pickup from Syntagma
16:15 – Shuttle from Syntagma
20:30 – Arrival in Kyparissi
Sun 26 March
08.00 – Breakfast at the Hotel
09:00 – Shuttle to the starting point
09:30 – Begin Cycling
11:30 – Coffee Break at Limni Geraka
13:00 – Monemvasia Gate
13:30 – Exploring the Castle
15.00 – Shuttle Back to Athens
19.30 – Arrival in Athens
Cut-off Time to register
21st of March