The Cyclist’s Clean Monday: A Peloponnese Exploration
This club ride takes you further away from the sea as you explore the inland of the Peloponnese. Immerse yourself in the wild beauty of its mountains, the seamless transition between vineyards and olive groves, and the timeless charm of traditional villages, each brimming with rich history. Vytina will be our base for the next three days, ideally situated to allow us to explore the best parts of this Greek region.
The first day begins at Mosia, a quaint, amphitheatrically built village located 780 meters above sea level. You will cycle between Mt. Helmos and Mt. Kyllini, traversing a route that offers unparalleled natural beauty and is virtually free from traffic. The day concludes in Vytina, where you will spend the night.
The second day’s route traces the footsteps of the Greek Revolution of 1821, passing through villages that played pivotal roles during that era. Prominent among these are Dimitsana and Stemnitsa. Today, cycling becomes more challenging as you navigate across Mt. Mainalo, winding through an ancient fir forest.
For the third and final day of this trip, you will celebrate Kathara Deftera (Clean Monday) in the most traditional way, but let’s not forget about cycling. We take a gentler approach today, embarking on a shorter and mostly descending route to Tripoli. This city, significant in the Greek Revolution, has evolved into a modern urban center while preserving its heroic legacy. After the ride, we’ll gather for traditional food, plenty of lagana bread, taramas Salad and halva are on menu, and kite flying, seeing who can soar the highest in the sky.
Cost: 450 euro / person
What is included
- 2 x Night Accommodation
- 2 x Dinner Meal
- 3 x Lunch
- Snacks along the road
- Vehicle Support
- Shuttle from Athens to the starting point and back
- GPX files for your GPS-unit
- Collection of your bike 1 day prior of the trip
- Road / E bike Hire: + €70 (please send us your height details in cm)
- Arrangements for non cycling members – bring the family and friends along
- Single Supplement: + €120.
Using the above link you can book your spot latest by Friday, 1 March
Code of conduct
- During the ride, each cyclist should ride like being on their own, respecting all the road circulations rules and signs
- All cyclists should be in a position to be self sufficient (e.g. change a tube, indexing the gears). Also our group ethics expect the riders to act civilized (zero tolerance if they litter the environment) and promote the good conduct of this ride. Competition schemes are not welcomed.
- Our vehicles will be close to the riding group and will provide transfer or mechanical support on best endeavors terms.
Why everything in English?
Πολλά από τα μέλη μας προέρχονται από το εξωτερικό και για λόγους ευγένειας, τιμώντας την Ελληνική Φιλοξενία, αποφασίσαμε να έχουμε σαν επίσημη γλώσσα τα αγγλικά.
Είμαστε όλοι μια παρέα, ας μην αφήσουμε τη γλώσσα να είναι εμπόδιο.
Ευχαριστούμε για την κατανόηση.
Friday, 15 March
PM Hours – Bike Collection (Location to be announced)
Saturday, 16 March
08:00 – Meet up at Doukissis Plakentias metro station (map)
08:15 – Shuttle to Mosia. Estimated arrival time 11:00
11:00 – Arrival at Mosia
11:30 – Start riding to Vytina. Estimated arrival time 14:30
14:30 – Estimated arrival and check in to our accommodation
Sunday, 17 March
07:30 – Breakfast
10:00 – Start riding towards Stemnitsa, Dimitsana and back to Vytina
14:00 – Estimated arrival at Vytina
Monday, 18 March
07:30 – Breakfast
10:00 – Start riding towards Tripoli
12:30 – Estimated arrival at Tripoli
17:00 – Shuttle Doukissis Plakentias metro station
19:00 – Estimated arrival time at Doukissis Plakentias metro station